The Art of Sutra

Sutra comes from Sanskrit, the ancient and sacred language of India. It also describes the teachings of the Buddha, the enlightened being who have mastered the truth, the knowledge and path of liberating the soul from samsara (continuous cycle of birth). Living is an Art, and Life is a blessing. Everything I do in my artwork – is a reflection of who I am – my soul mission and my contribution to humanity.

Tuesday, November 30, 2004

Ibu Pertiwi



Ibu means “Mother” and Pertiwi is “Earth”. From other ancient text, Pertiwi is Gaia. In Hindu, she is also called Basundari.

Yesterday, an inspiring mood occurred when I took a glimpse over a name card lying down on my officemate’s table. The design of the name card calls my attention. It was the name card of some General Manager of luxurious boutique hotel in Bali. After peeking at the overall design, challenge runs in my veins and this stimulated me. I grab a paper and a marker pen. I copied the original outlines of the face and the crown, but I modified the face and the symbol motifs inscribed in her crown.

The symbols in the crown manifested several arche-type of plants and tree spirits. Also, inscribed are several symbols of earth, wind and fire. Water is excluded.

My only regret in this drawing is that I cannot correct the shape of her face because I’m using marker pen with solid inks. Anyway, I’m happy that I can draw not only lines and symbols, which you may refer as abstract drawings. The complexities are admirable but I wish that I can understand them fully.
click 2x for better viewing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home